Issue 13 for Architectural Tips & Tricks
Welcome to this month's Graitec Architectural ‘Tips and Tricks’ newsletter. We have produced this with you our Clients, in mind. Our aim is to regularly pass on helpful Tips and Tricks on Autodesk Architectural Software products. We will try and keep this document full of useful and relevant information for you but if you want to make some suggestions on the content, drop us a line and we will do our best to include your requests.
Please take the time to look at the contents of this Newsletter, you never know, the answer to something that is puzzling you today may be right here.
This MonthsTips & Tricks Focus Is On:
Batch convert to older versions
Sometimes it is necessary to save DWG files as older versions so that people who do not have the most recent software can open them. This isn't a problem if it is just one or two drawings that need to be converted, but could be an issue on large projects containing dozens of drawings. To make this process more efficient, use DWG Trueview (a free download from www.autodesk.com) to do a batch conversion. This is a bi-directional process so that older file formats can be converted to newer formats as well.
1. Download and install DWG TRUEVIEW from www.autodesk.com
2. Open DWG Trueview and from the APPLICATION BROWSER (The large blue D in the top left hand corner) choose DWG CONVERT.
3. At the bottom of the FILE TREE TAB Click the ADD FILE button.
4. Browse to and select the files that you wish to convert and click open.
5. From the SELECT A VERSION SETUP section, pick a file format to convert to.
6. Click the convert button.
All files will now be converted to the selected file format!
NOTE: By default R14 file format and R2010 file format do not appear in this list! These can be created by following these steps.
1. In the DWG CONVERT dialogue box, pick on the CONVERSIONS SETUP button.
2. In the CONVERSION SETUPS dialogue box, click the NEW button.
3. Give the new CONVERSION SETUP a name and click continue.
4. From the CONVERSION TYPE AND LOCATION section pick whether you wish to overwrite the original files (in place) or save a copy of the files to a different location (folder). If you choose to save a copy to a different location you will have to specify a path in the CONVERSION FILE FOLDER section.
5. In the FILE FORMAT drop down menu select the file format you wish to convert to and click OK.
6. Click close in the CONVERSIONS SETUP dialogue box.
7. Your new CONVERSION SETUP should now appear in the SELECT A CONVERSION SETUP list.